Affiliate marketing is one of the best ways to start online business. But, “IS AFFILIATE MARKETING FOR BEGINNERS”? Here are 5 steps to get you started!
Is Affiliate Marketing for Beginners?
Anyone can start from wherever they are in life and accomplish great success as affiliate marketer. In the beginning it could be overwhelming to start but once you learn the ropes it becomes very easy to do. So, is affiliate marketing for beginners? Absolutely!
Affiliate marketing requires hard work and determination. It is easily done from anywhere in the world as long as there is internet connection.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a process that allows you (affiliate) to promote products and services on the internet for companies (merchants).
In a nutshell, affiliate programs do pay people to send them customers. Affiliate marketing is also known as revenue sharing plans.
Is affiliate marketing for beginners? Let’s first start with how affiliate programs work then we answer the question in more details.
How Affiliate Programs Work?
Affiliate business model is easy to understand, but for some strange reasons, people tend to make it more complicated than it is, so here is a simple description of what it really is in just few steps.
5 steps of how affiliate programs work:
- Find a niche – Find a program that offers products or services you are interested in
- Sign up by compeleting the affiliate agreement forms
- Place links to the program on your website
- Promote the affiliate programs via any of these methods
- Pay per click
- Social media
- Get paid
To set up affiliate programs is not hard and the amount of effort they require is minimal when you compare that to starting any other online business.
Affiliate Marketing Benefits
The advantages of becoming an affiliate marketer are endless. Here are the obvious ones:
- No inventory to carry
- Do not have to have products or service of your own.
- Zero commute to work!
- Earn money anytime and anywhere
- Free to start
Note: Do not pay a fee to join an affiliate program. You should not have to pay them in order for you to promote their products/service.
Affiliate Marketing with a Website or Without
Having your own website is like, [literally] owning a virtual online real estate.
Building a website is not as hard as you think. One can build a website in under 30 second hence I do not recommend that you start building a business that depends on others.
You can not realize much success in this business by just relying on posting few links here and there especially in social media.
Secrets to Building a Worthwhile Affiliate Marketing Program
For any business to make money online, it has to have ways to drive traffic to their website.
Getting people to your website is where the money is. The more eyeballs that see your offer, the higher chance of making money.
Traffic is the lifeline of any business. No traffic, no business! Traffic is basically a potential customer!
And once you have traffic, you have the opportunity to make money from your website in MANY different ways.
To make money as an affiliate marketer depends on the continuous stream of qualified visitors to the affiliate link using all types of marketing activities.
Notice: If you already own a website, that’s a great start. Now you need to find products that will appear more to your existing audience and or try to expand another one. Do not mix apples and oranges here. An advertisement of baby items on business owners’ website is not allowed.
This is very important.
Concepts to Understand as an Affiliate Marketer
Affiliate marketing terminologies be familiar with. Below is a short list but nonetheless very crucial to understand.
Affiliate: an individual, a site or a company that is paid money to promote another company’s products or services
Affiliate network: a company that is in charge of affiliate programs for many vendors and then recruits and approves affiliates on behalf of the company they represent. Here is a list of some of the networks that you can join free of cost.
- Amazon.com Associate
- Commission junction
AutoRenew: automatically renews an affiliate’s account upon expiration
Cookies: a file placed on your computer used to store information about a specific user
Cost per action (CPA): Specific actions enable advertisers to be paid.
Cost per click (CPC) or pay per click (PPC): an advertiser pays a publisher (typically a website owner or a network of websites) when the ad is clicked.
Merchant: another term used for an advertiser
Pay per performance: a method used to reward a company or website for sending traffic to another site
Publisher: company or site that wants to be an affiliate
Qualifying link: approved link provided to affiliate to place on a website in order to earn commissions
Required URL: Specific website address where the affiliate links must point to in order to earn commissions
Tracking tag: a link given to an affiliate to keep up with the same success of a campaign.
Unique visitors: Specific number of individual who visit a site within a certain period.
Affiliate Ad Payment Types
In most cases it is very easy to join affiliate programs as they simply let you know that they will offer you’re a percentage of the products cost as your profit.
Other times, it won’t be that easy.
4 Possible Payment methods:
- CPS (cost per sale): You are paid when someone make a purchase or service after clicking a link or ad from your website. Cost per sale have high payments because in most cases they result in a sale.
- CPC (cost per click): This payment is based on the traffic you send to the advertiser’s or merchant’s website after the visitors clicked on a link on your website.
- CPL (Cost per lead): is used by companies and advertisers that want their website visitors to sign up for something, called a lead.
- CPA (cost per action/acquisition): you get paid when a visitor takes action upon arrival at the advertiser’s site. What the action is depends on the offer you choose.
- PPA (pay per action) works as CPA.
- Affiliate networks that are CPA/PPA will pay you if a person joins a program, buys something or downloads something.
Minding the LAW
Affiliate marketing is a serious business so treat it as such. When signing up with a network, do keep the following in mind.
- Always read the terms and conditions of the affiliate agreement
- Check out the company
- Pay attention to the country of origin. Each country has its laws and regulations they abide to.
- Do your own research and verify the legitimacy of the affiliate program
MUST Things to Pay Attention to Before Participating in Affiliate Marketing Program
I have been doing affiliate marketing for awhile and what I am underlining below have been eye opening for me. Learn from my mistakes and start your online business venture the right way.
- Payment methods: pay attention to currency used, minimum payouts, payment processors, how often the payout occur, etc
- Commission structure: review and understand the payout system for the program you join
- Cookies: the duration of cookies is very important.
- Tracking: Make sure the program makes it easy to understand click-through rate
- Refunds policy: How the company handles customer’s returns and refunds
- Marketing tools: pay attention to the tools available to you in order to market the product/service. Find out of what’s at your disposal.
- Any restrictive marketing strategies: most affiliate programs put limitation on material used to market their products/service.
Not paying attention to any of the above can cost you big. Companies can choose to close, block, and or even suspend your account. Of course occurrence of any one of these will not be good for business. Since simple mistakes can turn into a big deal so why not protect yourself.
Is Affiliate Marketing for Beginners? … Final Thoughts
Still not sure how and where to start your online journey? Hence check out this highly recommended program and learn more on how to get started fast and in the correct way.
I hope I helped you learn affiliate marketing basics and answered your question “is affiliate marketing for beginners”!
If you have any questions or have something for me to include in this post, please leave me a note in the comment box. Thank you for reading.
Please Like, comment and share!